Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sleeping pills: I just wish I could sleep…

"It's 1:30am this is ridiculous time for sleeping pills and sweet glorious slumber!”

In the past 2 weeks I've slept maybe 14 hours. I am exhausted.
I lay down on my bed at 6:00pm, but my eyes kept open until 6:00am.It was another night of tossing and turning…I’m feeling really low.
I was unable to sleep and sobbing at midnight and what do I do? ...maybe I'll sleep now. I am sick of crying. I really feel like the secret in my heart that will never b
e able to be telling to somebody.
I have nights like tonight where I randomly started crying for no particular reason. Just sitting here I burst into tears. I am tired of always feeling tired, I am tired of crying, I am tired of myself, I am tired of feeling depressed, I am tired of sleepless nights...I could go on forever it seems.
It's ok, I'll be ok I always am. I just wish I could sleep, I am so tired but I can't fall asleep. I'm not sure how that can be.
What can help me? Coffee, Luvox® or sleeping pills?

Sleeping pills
Most sleeping pills are "sedative hypnotics." That's a specific class of drugs used to induce and/or maintain sleep. Sleeping pills used to be the standard treatment for insomnia .Because "sedative hypnotics" drugs generally produce dose-dependent effects, ranging from anoxiolysis
to production of unconsciousness.Benzodiazepines sedative hypnotics (BZDs) are the most well-known and the oldest class of sleep medications still commonly in use for short-term sleep difficulties.

Benzodiazepines sedative hypnotics
Benzodiazepines










The core structure of benzodiazepines.
"R" labels denote common locations of side chains,which give different benzodiazepines their unique properties.

Benzodiazepine sedative hypnotic is an anxiolytics (anti-anxiety) and hypnotics (sleep-inducing) whose core chemical structure is the fusion of a benzene ring and a diazepine ring. The first benzodiazepine, chlordiazepoxide (Librium), was discovered accidentally by Leo Sternbach in 1955, and made available in1960 by Hoffmann-Le Roche, which has also marketed diazepam (Valium) since 1963. A diazepine ring is a heterocyclic with two nitrogen atoms, five carbon atoms and the maximum possible number of cumulative double bonds. Many of the pharmacologically active "classical" benzodiazepine drugs contain the 5-phenyl-1H-benzo[e] [1, 4] diazepin-2(3H)-one substructure.
Left: The 1,4-benzodiazepine ring system.
Right: 5-phenyl-1H-benzo[e][1,4]diazepin-2(3H)-one forms the skeleton of many of the most common benzodiazepine pharmaceuticals, such as diazepam
(7-chloro-1-methyl substituted).

How Do Sleeping Pills Work?
They promote sleep by depressing the neutral activity of the brain by reducing the time required to fall asleep, decreasing the number and length of nighttime awakenings, and increasing total sleep time. They also work by causing amnesia so that we don't remember being awake during the night. Those with longer half-lives can stay in the body for more than a day and cause next-day "hangover" effects.They actually lose their effectiveness after repeated uses.

Side effects of sleeping pills
A sleeping pill may be effective at ending your sleep problems short-term. But you also need to know the side effects of sleeping pills, depending on the dosage and how long the drug lasts in your blood.
Common side effects from taking sleeping pills include prolonged drowsiness, dizziness, facial swelling, headache, lack of co-ordination, slurred speech and rebound insomnia. They have risks of allergic reaction, complex sleep-related behaviors, and memory lapses, reduced anxiety, lowered inhibitions, slowed pulse and breathing, lowered blood pressure, addiction, respiratory depression, and death. Sleep behaviors may include sleep-driving, driving while not fully awake after ingestion of a sedative-hypnotic product, with no memory of the event. They may also lead to dependence both physical and psychological (especially taken for long time in higher dose) and tolerance occurs. When this happens, it may be difficult to withdraw the drug after the patient has been taking it regularly for more than a few weeks. Sleeping tablets should not be stopped suddenly.

Precautions
Sleeping pills may not be safe if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding or are an older adult or have a history of heart, high blood pressure, liver glaucoma and breathing problems.
Mixing alcohol and sleeping pills can be extremely hazardous. The combination increases the sedative effect of sleeping pills, and that can be fatal. You should not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking some sleeping pills. Grapefruit increases the amount of the drug absorbed into your bloodstream and how long it stays in the body. That can actually cause over sedation. Caution is required when benzodiazepines are used in people with personality disorders
or mental retardation.And they may lead to suicidal thoughts or worsen existing depression, particularly in children and adolescents.A sleeping pill overdose occurs when one has ingested a hazardous amount of sleeping pills that has a toxic effect on the body. Don’t be silly because it will bring a death to you.

In fact, sleeping pills cannot solve my problem and trouble. Nothing can help me. I still have many wakeful and restless nights. Maybe I am the luckiest person who can watch beautiful sunrise everyday…

1 comment:

  1. OK, this blog post fulfills what I expect of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete